Seth van Hooland - Associate Professor
Université libre de Bruxelles
Information and Communication Science department
Avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 16 | B-1050 Brussels | CP 123
Office DB 11.113 (campus plan)
- PhD in Information and Communication Science, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 2009.
- Master in Information and Documentation Science, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 2003.
- Master in History, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 2001.
- Document and records management
- Metadata quality
- Digitization projects in the cultural heritage sector
- Digital Humanities
- Introducing Linked Data: Concepts, methods and tools - iSchool, University of Washington, spring semester 2014
- Introduction to information technology - ULB, 2010-present
- Architecture of information systems - ULB, 2010-present
- Modeling and structuring of information - ULB, 2010-present
- Document and records management - ULB, 2009-present
- Information skills - Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, 2009-2010
- VAN HOOLAND, S., HENGCHEN, S., GILLET, F. and DE WILDE, M. Introduction aux humanités numériques. De Boeck, 2016.
- VAN HOOLAND, S. and VERBORGH, R. Linked Data for Libraries, Archives and Museums: How to Clean, Link and Publish your Metadata. Facet/American Library Association, 2014.
Journal articlesAn overview of published journal articles can be found on
- VAN HOOLAND, S., VERBORGH, R. and DE WILDE, M. Linked Open Data in Libraries, Archives and Museums. Participation in the LODLAM Challenge. Montreal, 19 and 20 June 2013.
- VAN HOOLAND, S., RANSOM, L., DE WILDE, M. and VERBORGH, R. Making the case for Interactive Data Transformation Tools : using OpenRefine to clean the Schoenberg Manuscripts Database. Research Data Access and Preservation Summit. Baltimore, 4-5 April 2013.
- STEINER, T., VAN HOOLAND, S., VERBORGH, R. TENNIS, J. and VAN DE WALLE, R. Identifying VHS Recording Artifacts in the Age of Online Video Platforms. Workshop on Search and Exploration of X-Rated Information at WSDM 2013, Rome, February 5, 2013
- VAN HOOLAND, S. and STEINER, T. Getting to grips with metadata cleaning and reconciliation. Digital Humanities 2012, Hamburg, 17 July 2012.
- VAN HOOLAND, S. and MANNENS, E. Free Your Metadata - Why it matters. Linked Open Data for Libraries, Archives, and Museums, New York Public Library, 23 February 2012.
- VAN HOOLAND, S., VERBORGH, R. and DE WILDE, M. How to liberate your metadata. UK Museums on the Web, Imperial War museum, 25 November 2011.
- VAN HOOLAND, S., VERBORGH, R. and DE WILDE, M. An introduction to metadata cleansing and reconciliation. The Humanities and Technology Camp, University of Lausanne, 12 November 2011.
- DROESBEKE S., VAN HOOLAND S., DE WILDE M. and BOYDENS I., Measuring ULB scholars output visibility: a quantitative assessment of Scopus metadata quality using Google Refine. In 40th LIBER Annual Conference (Association of European Research Libraries), Barcelona, 29 June-2 July 2011
- Seth van Hooland and Sébastien Droesbeke. Perturbation de l'écologie des publications académiques: la gestion des e-books. i-Expo, Paris, 19 May, 2011.
- La gestion des collections culturelles en ligne. Télémaque. Comment archiver et interpréter les témoignages autobiographiques? Bruxelles, 1 April, 2011.
- Optimizing metadata creation, re-use and preservation in the cultural heritage sector. Metadata Australia 2010, Canberra, 26 and 27 May, 2010.
- VAN HOOLAND, S., KAUFMAN, S. and BONTEMPS, Y. Answering the call for more accountability: applying data-profiling to museum metadata. International conference on Dublin Core and metadata applications, 22- 26 September 2008, Berlin. (consult pdf)
- TONKIN, E., BABTISTA, A.A., PINHEIRO, S., VAN HOOLAND, S., RESMINI, A., MENDEZ, E. and NEVILLE, E. Kinds of Tags: a collaborative research study on tag usage and structure (Presentation). In: The 6th European Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS) Workshop, at the 11th ECDL Conference, Budapest, Hungary, September 2007. (summary)
- Entre formalisation et déconstruction : état de l′art critique de l′application documentaire des ontologies et folksonomies dans le domaine de l′indexation du patrimoine culturel numérique. In: Organisation des connaissances et société des savoirs : concepts, usages, acteurs. Actes du colloque ISKO 2007, Université Paul Sabatier IUT, Toulouse, 7 and 8 June 2007, p. 33 - 47. (program and the paper)
- Spectator becomes annotator: possibilities offered by user-generated metadata for image databases. In: Immaculate Catalogues: Taxonomy, Metadata and Resource Discovery in the 21st Century, Proceedings of CILIP Conference, University of East Anglia, UK, 13-15 September 2006. (consult pdf)
This article was also presented at the International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications, 3 - 6 October 2006 (Mexique) during the session Social Networks - Tagging and DC metadata. (http://dc2006.ucol.mx/program.htm and http://dublincore.org/accessibilitywiki/TagsMetadataSession).
Presentations, workshops, tutorials
- Getting to grips with Linked Data within academic libraries. Series of workshops for the University of California Libraries network at Oakland, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Irvine, 25-29 January 2016.
- Praktische Linked Data voor archieven. Presentation at KVAN Dagen, 8 June 2015, Amersfoort.
- Training the trainers for Linked Data. Full-day workshop at the Dublin Core conference 2015, 11 October 2014, Austin - Texas.
- Theory and practice of metadata quality for librarians. Full-day workshop organised for the Data Scientist Training for Librarians, organised by Harvard Libraries, 22 September 2014, Boston.
- Pour une généalogie des méta-données. Invited talk at the EHESS in the context of their Digital Humanities seminar, 16 May 2012, Paris.
- Metadata cleaning and reconciliation: why does it matter? Invited talk at the Information School at the University of Washington, 21 February 2012, Seattle.
- Je t'aime, moi non plus: the tension between technology and documentation practices. Invited talk for the CIRSS Seminar Series at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science at the University of Illinois, 17 February 2012, Champaign.
- Participation in the CollectiveAccess - Cataloguing Framework workshop, 20th and 21st Januar 2011, Berlin.
- Organization of a Tools Community workshop during the DC-2010 International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications , 20-22 October 2010, Pittsburgh.
- Moderator of the session "Access to audiovisual heritage" of the Audiovisual Archives in the 21st Century conference, 13 and 14 October 2010, Ghent.
- Research meeting with the School of Business IT & Logistics. Presentation at the RMIT University, 31 of May 2010, Melbourne.
- Long term implications of the use of social media for cultural heritage metadata. Presentation at the Powerhouse museum, 25 of May 2010, Sydney.
- Research meeting with the Society of Shanghai Librarianship. Presentation at the Shanghai Library, 20 of May 2010, Shanghai.
- Beyond the hype and the sales talk: current trends in Document Management. Inaugural presentation at the start of the Master en Bibliotecas y Servicios, 22 of February 2010, at the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Campus de Colmenarejo).
- European funding for digitization projects: opportunities and risks for research libraries. Presentation at the IX Workshop REBIUN Proyectos Digitales. 1 October 2009. Salamanca.
- Co-organization with Françoise Vandooren of the masterclass "How to write a European Research Project", 30 June 2009, during the Liber Annual Conference in Toulouse.
- Co-organization with Thomas Severiens of a Dublin Core Tools Community workshop "Issues and challenges with the implementation of metadata schemes", during the Libraries in the Digital Age Conference in Dubrovnik and Zadar, 25-30 May 2009.
- Co-organization of the workshop "Open source tools voor collectie-ontsluiting", 25 April 2008, in collaboration with Faro. (program and video)
- OpenCollection and the issue of metadata quality within cultural heritage databases. Presentation 2nd April 2008 for the Scholarly Communication Working Group of the university of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. (programme, slides and audio tape)
- De ondraaglijke lichtheid van digitaliseringsprojecten. Presentation 13 September 2007 during the conference Informatie 2007. (summary)
- Publieke ontsluiting van erfgoed: (on)zin van folksonomies voor de culturele sector. Presentation during the workshop "Participatie in e-cultuur", organized by the department Culture, Youth, Sport and Media of the flemish gouvernement on 27th March 2007. (program)
International projects and partnerships
- Chair of the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI) tools community and member of its Advisory Board.
- Partnership with the development team of the open-source software CollectiveAccess.
Consultancy and member of expert committees
- Trainer for the e-Domec policy of the European Commission.
- Evaluation of project proposals and financed projects for the European Commission.
- Accès informatique aux collections des institutions muséales (AICIM): Thésaurus des collections d'ethnologie.
- Evaluation of the digitization policy of the Royal Museum of Central-Africa.
- Member of the editorial board of Cataloging and Classification Quarterly.
- Reviewer for the Journal of Cultural Heritage and the Electronic Library.